Sunday, September 30, 2012

Harmony Winery

Over the past few years, I have really developed an appreciation and love of wine. One thing that I really enjoy doing is wine tastings. Most wineries offer tastings either for free or for a small price. It is always fun on a Saturday afternoon to get together with your girlfriends or husband or whoever and go to a local winery and try out some amazing wine! Not only are you getting an awesome experience you are supporting local businesses and this is a cause that is very important to me.

Yesterday, I decided to take my husband to a newer winery that is right by our home, Harmony Winery. They are located on Allisonville Road close to 116th street in Fishers. I know, a strange place for a winery but it really is a great one! I had been there once before with my girlfriend, Jordan and we loved it!

The couple who own Harmony have been in the wine business since 2001 and they have received over 21 medals for their wine. The main draw on their winery is that you can actually make and bottle your own wine! While we were there yesterday, there was actually a couple who had made their wine and they had come back to bottle it so we got to watch the process of bottling and corking wine. It was very interesting!

After branching off from another U-vint franchise in 2006, the owners started their own U-vint business called Outtavine. This was very popular, but they wanted somewhere that they could produce and sell their wines. Thus, Harmony Winery was born!


It is absolutely darling inside and from the moment you walk in, you can tell that it is a very homey and comfortable atmosphere. There is soft music playing and there are plenty of couches and chairs for you to relax in as you drink your wine.


All of their bottles are on display so if you know which one you are looking for, it isn't hard to find!


We did a wonderful tasting of several different wines ranging from dry red to a sweet, rich port. You can taste 5 wines for free or you can pay $5 and try every wine that they have available for tasting, usually around 10-12 wines. I bet you can't guess what we did :) I have tried a lot of different wines from a lot of different wineries and this is the only one that out of all of the different wines that I have tried, I have never had one that I didn't like.


Sorry about the poor quality of this picture but it is the only one I have of me in the winery! I am typically more of a sweet wine drinker. I prefer my wine to be chilled and that typically means that it is a sweeter wine, but this Merlot that we tried was delicious!


They give you a check list so that you can mark off what you have tasted. I tasted everything that is marked off on here as well as Indigo  and the Eight Measure Port.


After our tasting, we decided on 2 bottles. We purchased the Staccato which is described as "fresh and lively, pleasant sweetness, strawberry notes, tangy acidity, crisp and delicate finish". We also bought a bottle of Indigo which is "tangy, sweet burst of blueberry, light-medium body and cherry spice flavors". They are both sweeter, more dessert wines but they are delicious :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment